By Callum @ AvocadoNinja
By Callum @ AvocadoNinja
Includes the entire integrated Health Secrets Course
ARTICLE KEY POINTS
The combination of MCT oil and grass-fed butter will literally switch off hunger, switch off cravings, allow your mind to engage fully and be super focused, positioning you for an incredible day.
In this article, I show you the most powerful way I've found to get the myriad of benefits from both intermittent fasting AND using ketones for energy. I was inspired by the Bulletproof Coffee, and made a few tweaks to get to the Ninja Power Drink. This kicks off your day in a way that makes you feel unstoppable.
On the ascent of Mount Kailash, considered the world’s holiest mountain at an altitude of 18,000 feet and below-freezing temperatures, Dave Asprey was exhausted, hypoxic, and frozen. He stumbled into a little guest house. A kind Tibetan woman took pity on Dave and handed him a drink that would not only change his life, but the lives of millions of people around the world.
It was a traditional yak butter tea. Almost instantly, his exhaustion lifted, and he suddenly felt full of energy. He wanted to know why, and after a great deal of experimentation he had the genesis for his famous “Bulletproof Coffee,” a recipe that has helped millions of people around the world. As part of my own journey back to health (and out of depression), I tried just about everything.
The “Bulletproof Coffee” recipe was one of the most effective tools I discovered. I’ve since refined this and made some changes, to create our own version, that I call the Ninja Power Drink.
The way commercial coffee is farmed and processed causes most of the negative issues. Then by adding milk and sugar and all the toxins from acidic tap water, every good thing coffee has to offer is removed/blocked and replaced with toxic, unhealthy rubbish. You end up with a concoction of high acidity, pesticides, mould, mould toxins, sugar, and dairy along with chlorine, bacteria, pharmaceuticals, and worse.
I have come to discover that this is the case with many foods. Even the most natural foods can be corrupted by the processing, storage, and the ongoing efforts to make products more convenient. Most unadulterated foods from nature are healthy.
So, we have to choose our coffee source carefully and use a French press to deliver all the beneficial compounds (more about this below). This delivers the pure superfood without any of the rubbish.
Benefits of Clean Coffee
So, when sourced and prepared properly, you can look forward to the following benefits:
Not only that, but coffee also contains essential nutrients such as vitamin B2, B3, B5, manganese, potassium, and magnesium.
Most Powerful Compounds
With over 1000 natural compounds in coffee, there are 3 that really stand out: caffeine, antioxidants, and diterpenes.
Caffeine is proven to increase ketone production.30 You can also tap into the proven benefits of caffeine in small amounts, including a lower risk of type 2 diabetes42, better glucose variability, lower depression rates41, lower stroke rates43, lower chances of breast cancer, lower risk of dementia and/or Alzheimer’s,35 better memory recall, high antioxidant content, fat loss and improved energy levels, mental alertness, and enhanced mood. Caffeine also doubles the fat burning capacity of your body.28
There are high levels of bioactive antioxidants (from 200-500 mg per cup), compounds that fight free radicals, which are known to cause oxidative stress, cellular damage, and many chronic diseases.
One of these polyphenols, called chlorogenic acid (CGA) has been shown to have positive effects on blood pressure36, blood sugar levels37, and even weight, BMI, and body fat percentage38. Caffeic acid may increase athletic performance39 and have anti-ageing effects on the skin.40
Diterpenes are fatty acids that are present when you prepare the coffee with a French Press. Both cafestol and kahweol participate in a number of physiological functions that promote health, such as reducing inflammation, increasing glutathione (GSH), causing tumour cells to die, and inhibiting angiogenesis.44
Isn't Coffee Acidic?
So, you can take the pure superfood of coffee, add some special ingredients, and use a specific kind of water, and make an incredibly healthy drink that tastes great. And it will not compromise your delicate internal alkaline balance!
This will shift your mindset around your morning coffee from being a “pick-me-up” to a daily elixir that will give you incredible energy to fuel your mind and body. The effect is unlike anything you have experienced before. It’s hard to overstate how I feel after drinking this, especially when I compare it to what is usually considered as a “cup of coffee.” Commercial coffee is an unhealthy short-term fix. It always left me feeling sick, anxious, and jittery.
By having this drink for breakfast, you can keep your body using ketones as fuel and make intermittent fasting effortless. You almost don’t realize you are doing it. Because the recipe doesn’t contain any carbohydrates or proteins, your body thinks you are still fasting! All of your energy comes from fat, which switches off any hunger and cravings until at least 11 a.m.
You only have this one healthy coffee each day. There is no need for stimulants throughout the day, as your energy will come in abundance from energy fats, alkaline balance, super nutrition, pure hydration, and plenty of oxygen!
I give full credit to Dave Asprey for this one! I have made some adjustments to the original recipe to maximize the benefits while retaining an alkaline balance and eliminating any potential downsides.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
If you want to make your breakfast even better, try taking the following:
This will give your body the ideal nutrients, minerals, anti-oxidants, polyphenols and fuel for the optimal start to the day. Your mind and body will feel charged, and produce sustainable high energy.
Use a French press. The stainless-steel mesh filter allows the coffee’s natural oils to get through, which not only improves flavour but also preserves beneficial polyphenols. The French press method is non-toxic, as most models have just metal and glass components. Brew for 4 minutes.
What not to add: Do not add milk or sugar. Milk will inhibit the effect of the polyphenols and antioxidants found in coffee. You should always avoid refined sugar, but if you need a sweet taste, use Xylitol.
PRO-TIP: We have partnered with Exhale Coffee in the UK, which produces the healthiest coffee we have found. It is certified organic, optimized for polyphenols (2.7 more than average coffee), rich in vitamin B3, mycotoxin free, pesticide free, chemical free, independently lab tested (9 different tests) and has the same antioxidants as 55 oranges! We work directly with Exhale, and they are also really amazing people! Find out more here.
Step 2: Add the special ingredients
These are powerful ingredients that fuel us and provide real health benefits. By binding with active compounds in the coffee, they can penetrate the blood-brain barrier.
Transfer the coffee to a glass jug ready for blending with a hand immersion blender.
Add 1–2 tablespoons of butter from grass-fed cows (e.g., Kerrygold, Anchor). If the cows are commercially farmed, then they are usually fed a low-quality diet of corn and soy. This leads to an overabundance of omega-6 in the butter.
Organic grass-fed butter includes plenty of healthy fats and none of the things found in milk that cause negative effects. One of these is butyrate, which protects the blood-brain barrier and feeds the good bacteria in your gut.
Add 1 teaspoon–2 tablespoons MCT oil
Start with 1 teaspoon of this oil and work up to 1 tablespoon over a couple of weeks. Eventually, you can work toward 2 tablespoons.
Optional: Add in other superfoods.
This drink becomes a great “base” that you can add other superfoods into. For example, I add pre-biotic fibre powder to my drink each morning.
Step 3: Blend the coffee and the magic ingredients with an immersion blender.
Make it as frothy as possible. We are creating the special kind of EZ water as we blend it. (Which is more absorbable by the body.)
Using the blender also breaks up things called melanin and melanoids, which create free oxygen and electrons that your mitochondria can use to generate energy.
Now, drink this delicious, creamy drink for breakfast.
I promise you, it will taste great! And the real advantage is that the combination of MCT oil and grass-fed butter will literally switch off hunger, switch off cravings, allow your mind to engage fully and be super focused, positioning you for an incredible day.
You will get plenty of polyphenols, in addition to the beneficial compounds found in coffee, that can only cross the blood-brain barrier when bound to fat molecules!
Any additional acid effect the coffee may have can be counteracted by topping up your alkaline mineral buffers. To do this, just drink 300ml water with alkaline salts as soon as you get up. This also has a host of other benefits (learn more here).
And please remember, we are just having one of these a day, so there is no risk of getting addicted to caffeine.
Receive your hard copy guide and also immediately unlock 6 course lessons from the coaches at Avocado Ninja, that give you the tools, tips, strategies and daily action steps you need to transform your health and supercharge all areas of your life!
Includes 6 integrated modules to transform your health, along with an optimised sleep guide, a life transformation guide and the Total Cleanse Program.
1. Real Ketones Study Results Human Clinical Study Blind Comparison of Two Different Compositions of Exogenous Ketones and Their Impact on Anxiety, Weight, Lean Muscle Mass and Cognitive Function by Gacio, J. Koche, L. Dituri, J.
2. N. Martins, "Beta-hydroxybutyrate or BHB –All You Need to Know," 14 November 2019. [Online]. Available: https://hvmn.com/blogs/blog/exogenous-ketones-beta-hydroxybutyrate-or-bhb-all-you-need-to-know. [Accessed 23 November 2021].
3. "Beta-Hydroxybutyrate (Bhb)," WebMD, [Online]. Available: https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-1569/beta-hydroxybutyrate-bhb. [Accessed 23 November 2021].
4. Exogenous Ketones as an Adjunct to Low Calorie Diet on Metabolic Biomarkers, Fat Loss and Health. Conducted by The Center For Applied Health Sciences (CAHS) Tim N. Ziegenfuss, PhD, CSCS, FISSN, Hector L. Lopez, M.D., CSCS, FAAPMR, FI
5. "What is Beta-Hydroxybutyrate (BHB)?," Ketologic, [Online]. Available: https://ketologic.com/blogs/articles/what-is-beta-hydroxybutyrate. [Accessed 23 November 2021].
6. β-Hydroxybutyrate Elicits Favorable Mitochondrial Changes in Skeletal Muscle - PMC (nih.gov)
7. Anti-Oxidant and Anti-Inflammatory Activity of Ketogenic Diet: New Perspectives for Neuroprotection in Alzheimer’s Disease - PMC (nih.gov)
8. Effects of medium-chain triglycerides on weight loss and body composition: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials - PubMed (nih.gov)
9. Medium-Chain Triglyceride Oil and Blood Lipids: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Trials - PubMed (nih.gov)
10. Plasma Ketone and Medium Chain Fatty Acid Response in Humans Consuming Different Medium Chain Triglycerides During a Metabolic Study Day - PMC (nih.gov)
11. Intermittent fasting and weight loss - PMC (nih.gov)
12. Ketogenic Diet and Skeletal Muscle Hypertrophy: A Frenemy Relationship? - PMC (nih.gov)
13. A Periodic Diet that Mimics Fasting Promotes Multi-System Regeneration, Enhanced Cognitive Performance, and Healthspan: Cell Metabolism
14. Comment: How fasting might make our cells more resilient to stress (sbs.com.au)
15. Effects of short-term modified fasting on sleep patterns and daytime vigilance in non-obese subjects: results of a pilot study - PubMed (nih.gov)
16. The effects of diurnal intermittent fasting on the wake-promoting neurotransmitter orexin-A - PubMed (nih.gov)
17. Research review shows intermittent fasting works for weight loss, health changes -- ScienceDaily
18. Fasting: the history, pathophysiology and complications - PubMed (nih.gov)
19. Intermittent fasting: is there a role in the treatment of diabetes? A review of the literature and guide for primary care physicians | Clinical Diabetes and Endocrinology | Full Text (biomedcentral.com)
20. Intermittent metabolic switching, neuroplasticity and brain health - PMC (nih.gov)
21. Intermittent Fasting: a Promising Approach for Preventing Vascular Dementia - PMC (nih.gov)
22. Short-term fasting induces profound neuronal autophagy - PMC (nih.gov)
23. Autophagy and aging - PMC (nih.gov)
24. Autophagy and oxidative stress in cardiovascular diseases - PMC (nih.gov)
25. FGF21 induces autophagy‐mediated cholesterol efflux to inhibit atherogenesis via RACK1 up‐regulation - Xiaolong - 2020 - Journal of Cellular and Molecular Medicine - Wiley Online Library
26. Role of autophagy in cancer prevention - PMC (nih.gov)
27. Frontiers | Autophagy and Inflammation Regulation in Acute Kidney Injury | Physiology (frontiersin.org)
28. Coffee | The Nutrition Source | Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
29. Do Coffee Polyphenols Have a Preventive Action on Metabolic Syndrome Associated Endothelial Dysfunctions? An Assessment of the Current Evidence - PMC (nih.gov)
30. Caffeine intake increases plasma ketones: an acute metabolic study in humans - PubMed (nih.gov)
31. Coenzyme Q10 (oregonstate.edu)
32. Vitamin B12 protects against DNA damage induced by hydrochlorothiazide - ScienceDirect
33. Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin) Information | Mount Sinai - New York
34. Enhanced mitochondrial biogenesis is associated with the ameliorative action of creatine supplementation in rat soleus and cardiac muscles - PMC (nih.gov)
35. Caffeine as a protective factor in dementia and Alzheimer's disease - PubMed (nih.gov)
36. Acute effects of chlorogenic acid on nitric oxide status, endothelial function, and blood pressure in healthy volunteers: a randomized trial - PubMed (nih.gov)
37. Acute Effects of Decaffeinated Coffee and the Major Coffee Components Chlorogenic Acid and Trigonelline on Glucose Tolerance - PMC (nih.gov)
38. Coffee Abundant in Chlorogenic Acids Reduces Abdominal Fat in Overweight Adults: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Controlled Trial - PubMed (nih.gov)
39. Caffeic Acid Phenethyl Ester, an Antioxidant from Propolis, Protects Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells of Competitive Cyclists against Hyperthermal Stress - Chen - 2009 - Journal of Food Science - Wiley Online Library
40. Anti-Wrinkle and Anti-Inflammatory Effects of Active Garlic Components and the Inhibition of MMPs via NF-κB Signaling - PMC (nih.gov)
41. Green Tea, Coffee, and Caffeine Consumption Are Inversely Associated with Self-Report Lifetime Depression in the Korean Population - PubMed (nih.gov)
42 Coffee consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review - PubMed (nih.gov)
43. The impact of green tea and coffee consumption on the reduced risk of stroke incidence in Japanese population: the Japan public health center-based study cohort - PubMed (nih.gov)
44. Cafestol and Kahweol: A Review on Their Bioactivities and Pharmacological Properties - PMC (nih.gov)
45. The relationship of coffee consumption with mortality - PubMed (nih.gov)
46. Adenosine, Adenosine Receptors and the Actions of Caffeine * - Fredholm - 1995 - Pharmacology & Toxicology - Wiley Online Library
47. Coffee, diabetes, and weight control - PubMed (nih.gov)
48. Coffee, cirrhosis, and transaminase enzymes - PubMed (nih.gov)
49. Coffee Consumption and Risk of Liver Cancer: A Meta-Analysis - ScienceDirect
50. Caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee and tea intakes and risk of colorectal cancer in a large prospective study - PubMed (nih.gov)
51. Coffee Drinking and Mortality in 10 European Countries: A Multinational Cohort Study: Annals of Internal Medicine: Vol 167, No 4 (acpjournals.org)
52. Caffeine as a protective factor in dementia and Alzheimer's disease - PubMed (nih.gov)
Statements made on this website are our personal opinion and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Information provided by this website or this company is not a substitute for direct, individual medical treatment or advice. It is the responsibility of you and your healthcare providers to make all decisions regarding your health. You can find our full disclaimer and terms of service here.
GET THE LATEST, MOST EFFECTIVE TOOLS, STRATEGIES & PRACTICES